Spanish-Language Lupus Support Group Facilitator
Posted July 31, 2014
ORGANIZATION AND PROGRAM DESCRIPTION:
Lupus LA, with offices in Beverly Hills and Boyle Heights, promotes lupus awareness and education, funds novel research and provides a variety of programs and service for people with lupus and their families, helping them to better manage their disease and enhance their quality of life. Our current programs include: bilingual support groups for adults, children and family members, patient education, peer support, referrals to medical specialists and assistance navigating the entitlement and benefits process. Lupus LA is an equal opportunity employer.
First Thursday of each month 6:30pm-9:00pm (Group meets from 7:00pm-8:30pm)
$30.00-$40.00/hour (Depending on education and experience)
Lupus LA is looking for an experienced support group facilitator. This person will report to the Program Manager. The Spanish-Language Lupus Support Group Facilitator will present educational material and facilitate group discussions relating to lupus. During these groups, the facilitator will provide knowledge, skills and tools for participants to use in order to help them to feel supported.
Oral and written fluency in Spanish and English is a requirement for this position.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE BUT NOT LIMITED TO:
The Support Group Facilitator will:
- Create a safe haven for sharing feelings, concerns, and thoughts about lupus and lupus related problems, and provide coping mechanisms.
- Act in accordance of the Lupus LA guidelines.
- Model appropriate communication and leadership skills.
- Provide reliable and factual information about lupus.
- Build network of medical professionals, hospitals, rheumatologists, etc.
- Maintain confidentiality and respect the individual needs of group members.
- Be consistently supportive, dependable, and committed to the group members.
- Limit self-disclosure to information that is of clear benefit to group members.
- Address crises both within the group and individually while maintaining appropriate boundaries.
- Coordinate the group, time, location, and size of each group.
- Update the status of the group, including changes in meeting dates or times, cancelled meetings, and group size.
- Notify all group members and Lupus LA no less than 24 hours in advance if group is cancelled.
- Provide back-up coverage for other support groups as needed.
- Complete all necessary paperwork (group reports, sign in sheets, confidentially agreement).
QUALITIES AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Knowledge and understanding of lupus.
- Thorough understanding of group dynamics and group process.
- Excellent therapeutic and personal boundaries and ethics.
- Ability to perform crisis intervention.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
EDUCATION AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- Bilingual/Fluent in English and Spanish is a requirement for this position.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from a four-year college or university.
- Local travel is required. Must have a valid California drivers’ license and dependable transportation. Must also provide proof of auto insurance.
Ability to lift up to 25 lbs.
Send Resume and Cover Letter to Katherine McMahon at email@example.com, or send via fax to 310 860-9966.
Download a PDF of the job summary